GPAT 2024 Exam Syllabus: In the realm of pharmaceutical sciences, the Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test (GPAT) serves as a pivotal milestone for students aspiring to carve a niche in this ever-evolving field. Administered by the National Testing Agency (NTA), the GPAT exam is a gateway to postgraduate pharmacy courses in India. This article aims to elucidate the GPAT 2024 exam syllabus, offering a subject-wise breakdown, exam pattern, and weightage, thereby providing a holistic overview for effective preparation.
Subject-Wise Syllabus- GPAT 2024 Exam Syllabus
The GPAT 2024 exam encompasses various each contributing to the overall score in varying degrees. The subjects include:
- Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence
- Organic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
Pharmacology explores into the interactions between drugs and biological systems, providing a foundational understanding of drug mechanisms, side effects, and therapeutic uses.
This subject focuses on the legal aspects governing the manufacture, sale, and distribution of pharmaceuticals, ensuring compliance with ethical and regulatory standards.
Organic Chemistry is the study of the structure, properties, and reactions of organic compounds and materials. It is crucial for understanding the chemical basis of drug action.
Physical Chemistry explores the theories and principles that explain the behavior of matter, providing insights into the physicochemical properties of drugs.
Microbiology offers an understanding of microorganisms and their role in pharmaceuticals, including drug formulation and quality control.
Exam Pattern and Weightage
Different subjects have different weightage in the GPAT exam 2024. It is essential to allocate time and resources judiciously across subjects to maximize your score. The exam comprises a total of 125 questions, carrying a maximum of 500 marks. Each correct answer is awarded 4 marks, while each incorrect answer results in a deduction of 1 mark, owing to the provision for negative marking.
While NCERT textbooks serve as an excellent starting point for clearing basic concepts, they are not sufficient for comprehensive GPAT preparation. Aspiring candidates must also refer to advanced-level books to gain a deeper understanding of each subject.
Language and Duration
The GPAT 2024 exam will be conducted solely in English, as per NTA’s official notification. The duration of the exam is 3 hours, or 180 minutes, requiring a well-thought-out time management strategy.
GPAT 2024 Exam Syllabus-Subject-Wise Syllabus and Topics
- Composition and physical states of matter
- Colligative Properties
- Refractive Index
- Ionic Equilibrium
Physical Chemistry lays the foundation for understanding the physicochemical properties of pharmaceuticals, including their stability, solubility, and reactivity.
- Matter, properties of matter
- Micromeritics and powder rheology
- Surface and Interfacial Phenomenon
- Viscosity and Rheology
- Dispersion Systems
Physical Pharmacy explores the physical and chemical phenomena related to pharmacy, essential for drug formulation and delivery.
- General Principles
- Different classes of compounds
- Protection and deprotection of groups
- Aromaticity and chemistry of aromatic compounds
- Different aromatic classes of compounds
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons
- Carbonyl Chemistry
- Heterocyclic Chemistry
- Bridged rings
- Kinetic & thermodynamic control
- Amino acids & proteins
- Pericyclic reactions
Organic Chemistry is crucial for understanding the molecular structure and reactivity of pharmaceutical compounds, thereby influencing drug design and mechanisms.
- Pharmaceutical Inorganic Chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Impurities
- Dentifrices, desensitizing agents, & anticaries agents
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Therapeutic classes of drugs
- Various classes of therapeutic agents
- Different classes of therapeutic drugs
Pharmaceutical Chemistry focuses on the chemical aspects of drug design and development, including the synthesis, mechanism, and analysis of medicinal agents.
- Pharmacy Profession & Introduction to Pharmaceuticals
- Introduction to dosage form
- Sources of drug information
- Allopathic dosage form
- Crude extract
- Allergenic extract
- Biological products
- Pharmaceutical Plant, location, layout
- Dosage Form Necessities and Additives
- Parenterals – product requiring sterile packaging
- Liquids (solutions, syrups, elixirs, spirits, aromatic water, liquid for external uses)
- Pharmaceutical Aerosols
- Ophthalmic preparations
- Stability of formulated products
- Prolonged Action Pharmaceuticals
- Novel Drug delivery system
- GMP and Validation
- Packaging Materials
- Pilot plant scale-up techniques
Pharmaceutics deals with the formulation, production, and technology behind pharmaceutical products, from tablets and capsules to advanced drug delivery systems.
- General Pharmacology
- Neurohumoral transmission in autonomic and central nervous system
- Pharmacology of peripheral nervous system
- Pharmacology of central nervous System
- Pharmacology of cardiovascular system
- Drugs acting on urinary system
- Drugs acting on Respiratory system
- Pharmacology of Endocrine system
- Autacoids and their Antagonists
- Pharmacology of drug acting on the gastrointestinal tract
- Vitamins & Minerals
- Principles of toxicology
Pharmacology provides an understanding of how drugs interact with biological systems, which is crucial for drug development and therapeutic applications.
- Introductory Pharmacognosy
- Classification of crude drugs
- Factors influencing quality of crude drugs
- Techniques in microscopy
- Introduction to phytoconstituents
- Principles of plant classification
- Pharmaceutical aids
- Animal products
- Plant products
- Toxic drugs
- Natural pesticides and insecticides
- Adulteration and evaluation of crude drugs
- Quantitative microscopy
- Biogenetic pathways
- Carbohydrates & lipids
- Volatile oils
- Resinous drugs
- Extraction and Isolation Techniques
- Quality control and Standardization of herbal drugs
- Herbal formulations
- Worldwide trade of crude drugs and volatile oils
- Herbal cosmetics
- Traditional herbal drugs
- Plants based industries and research institutes in India
- Ayurvedic system of medicine
- Homoeopathic system of medicine
Pharmacognosy focuses on the study of medicinal plants and other natural sources, providing the basis for the discovery and development of new therapeutic agents.
- Importance of quality control in pharmacy
- Acid-base titrations
- Non-aqueous titrations
- Oxidation-reduction titrations
- Precipitation titrations
- Complexometric titrations
- Extraction techniques
- Miscellaneous methods of analysis
- General principles of spectroscopy
- Ultraviolet-visible Spectrometry
- Flame photometry & atomic absorption spectrometry
- Infrared spectrometry
- Proton nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometry
- Mass spectrometry
- Nephelometry & Turbidimetry
Pharmaceutical Analysis is crucial for ensuring the quality, safety, and efficacy of pharmaceutical products through various analytical techniques.
- Biological oxidations & reductions
- Nucleic acids
- Hereditary diseases
Biochemistry explores the chemical processes within and related to living organisms, providing insights into the molecular mechanisms of drug action.
- Plant Cell and Tissue Culture
- Animal Cell Culture
- Fermentation Technology and Industrial Microbiology
- Recombinant DNA Technology
- Process and Applications
- Biotechnology Derived Products
Biotechnology involves the manipulation of biological systems for the development of products, including pharmaceuticals, that improve the quality of human life.
- Introduction to Microbiology
- Microscopy and staining technique
- Biology of Microorganisms
- Fungi and Viruses
- Aseptic Technique
- Sterilization & Disinfection
- Microbial spoilage
- Vaccines & Sera
- Microbial Assay
Microbiology provides an understanding of microorganisms and their role in pharmaceuticals, including drug formulation and quality control.
- Basic principles of cell injury and adaptation
- Basic mechanisms of inflammation and repair
- Disorders of fluid, electrolyte and acid-base balance
- Disorders of homeostasis: white blood cells, lymphoid tissues, and red blood cells related diseases
- Immunopathology including amyloidosis
- Infectious diseases
- Neoplastic diseases
- Pathophysiology of common diseases
- Laboratory tests for Liver function tests and kidney function tests
Pathophysiology explores the altered physiological processes associated with disease or injury, which is essential for understanding drug mechanisms and therapeutic interventions.
Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics
- Bio-availability & Bio-equivalence
- Bio-pharmaceutical statistics
Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics deal with the absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion (ADME) of drugs, crucial for effective drug delivery and action.
Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics
- Basic concepts and general principles
Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics focus on the clinical aspects of pharmacy, including patient care and the optimisation of medication therapy.
Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Cell physiology
- The Blood
- Gastrointestinal tract
- Respiratory System
- Autonomic nervous system
- Sense organs
- Skeletal System
- Central Nervous system
- Urinary System
- Endocrine Glands
- Reproductive System
- Cardiovascular system
- Lymphatic system
Human Anatomy and Physiology provide the foundational knowledge of the human body’s structure and function, essential for understanding drug action and interactions.
- Fluid flow
- Heat transfer
- Size reduction and size separation
- Filtration and Centrifugation
- Dehumidification and humidity control
- Refrigeration and air conditioning
- Material of constructions
- Automated process control systems
- Industrial hazards & safety precautions
Pharmaceutical Engineering involves the application of engineering principles to the design, analysis, and control of pharmaceutical manufacturing processes.
- Introduction to management
- Planning and Forecasting
- Research Management
- Inventory Management
- Marketing Research
- Leadership and motivation
- Human resource and development (HRD)
- World trade organization (WTO) and trade-related intellectual property rights (TRIPS)
- Standard institutions and regulatory authorities
Pharmaceutical Management focuses on the organizational and economic aspects of the pharmaceutical industry, including project management, supply chain, and compliance with regulatory standards.
- Basic Concepts like historical background, relevant acts and rules
Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence provides an understanding of the laws and regulations that govern the pharmacy profession, ensuring ethical practice.
Dispensing and Hospital Pharmacy
- Basic Concepts
- Compounding and dispensing of certain prescriptions
- Reading and counselling of prescriptions from the clinical practice
Dispensing and Hospital Pharmacy focus on the preparation and provision of medication, ensuring accurate and safe medication use.
The GPAT 2024 exam serves as a critical juncture in the academic journey of pharmacy students. A thorough understanding of the subject-wise syllabus, coupled with a strategic preparation plan, can pave the way for a successful career in pharmaceutical sciences.
- Human Equivalent Dose Calculator
- How to Formulate Microemulsion? SOP for Microemulsion
- The Link Between Oral Bacteria and Colon Cancer
- A Timeline of UFO Sightings Through History
- Science News-From Alien Life to Cosmic Rays
- Breakthroughs in Marine Biology and Climate Change Insights
- Revolutionary CRISPR Discoveries and AI Ethics in the Spotlight
- Breakthrough Discoveries Unveil New Insights into Cancer Cell Behavior
- Scientists Make Breakthrough in Fusion Energy Research
Tags: GPAT 2024 Exam Syllabus, GPAT 2024 Exam Syllabus For Pharmacology, GPAT 2024 Exam Syllabus for Pharmaceutics, GPAT 2024 Exam Syllabus for Pharmacognosy, GPAT 2024 Exam Syllabus for Chemistry, GPAT 2024 Exam Syllabus for pharmaceutical Analysis